Ayurveda is an ancient Indian system that deals with the science of medicines. The purpose of Ayurveda is to create a wholesome balance in the human body, it includes elements of mind, spirit, and physical body, through this it helps in preventing the body from catching any disease rather than preventing it at a larger stage.
Ayurveda uses a holistic and standardized approach that combines elements like diet, exercise, and adopting lifestyle changes. There are various herbs and plant-based medicines used in the ayurvedic treatment that have major importance in the science of Ayurveda.
In this article, we will be discussing the 7 best ayurvedic medicines that you should know and use as and when required in your day-to-day life.
- Ashwagandha – Scientifically known as Withania somnifera, it is a small woody plant that is native to the conditions of India and North Africa. Roots and berries of ashwagandha are used as ayurvedic remedies. It helps the body to manage stress and reduces the level of coristrol according to scientific research, it also enhances muscle growth, sharpens memory, and increases male fertility.
- Boswellia – known as the Indian frankincense or olibanum, Boswellia is extracted from the resin of the Boswellia serrata tree. According to various researches conducted it suggests that Boswellia helps in reducing inflammation by preventing the release of compounds of inflammation known as leukotrienes. It appears as a non – steroidal. It also improves digestion in people with ulcerative colitis and breathing problems in people with chronic asthma.
- Triphala – Triphala is a combination of three small medicinal plants.
Studies have shown that Triphala helps in reducing inflammation that is caused by arthritis, it also helps in preventing and limiting the growth of certain types of cancer cells in the body. It also acts as a natural laxative, reducing constipation, sudden abdominal pain. It also acts as a beneficial element for a healthy mouth.
4. Brahmi – Brahmi is also known as Bacopa monnieri is considered as a staple herb in ayurvedic medicine. According to studies, Brahmi has a strong anti-inflammatory quality that is effective in preventing NSAIDS. Brahmi also is said to be good for improvement in the learning rate, attention, memory span, and instant information processing. It also reduces symptoms of ADHD. It also helps in reducing stress and anxiety.
5. Turmeric – turmeric is a popular spice used in Indian households that is also an ayurvedic remedy. It has powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory qualities. Turmeric helps in preventing heart diseases as it improves blood flow. Compounds present in turmeric help in preserving brain function.
6. Cardamom – Elettaria cardamomum is also known as “Queen of spices” has been an inseparable part of ayurvedic medicine treatment. It helps in reducing blood pressure, inhaling cardamom oil increases the uptake of oxygen levels in the lungs. It helps in protecting against helicobacter pylori bacteria that is said to be a common cause of stomach ulcers.
7. Cumin – Cumin is a popular spice that is commonly found in the Mediterranean and southwest Asian countries. It is made from seeds of the cuminum cyminum plant, it helps in boosting the activity of digestive enzymes, and helps in the excretion of bile juice from the liver that would speed the digestion process. It also reduces symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. Cumin also helps in reducing diabetes levels and improves insulin sensitivity, it also protects against heart diseases.